Monday, November 9, 2009

Farm Pond

It seems funny that the beautiful, sandy bottom "Big Slough Creek" has such a name, since slough...

1 a : a place of deep mud or mire b : also slew or slue \ˈslü\ (1) : swamp (2) : an inlet on a river; also : backwater(3) : a creek in a marsh or tide flat
2 : a state of moral degradation or spiritual dejection


Today I did fish a farm pond in Rose Hill.  It was indeed a place of deep mud or mire.  I learned quickly that you cannot wade in a pond that is built on a formation that has 12 feet of clay.  You may never be seen again.

The farmers assured me that bass and crappie and catfish have produced in abundance in their three ponds.  I am sure that they are all still there reproducing, because they were too busy to acknowledge me or my many varied offerings.

It sure was a wonderful place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment