Thursday, November 5, 2009

Trout Stocking Day Report


KDOT East.  Today's 681 trout must bring the total in the lake to over 1,000, because not many have been harvested in the past 3 weeks.  These photos tell it all.  Today the trout were visible swimming near the shore, but still would not take PowerBait, salmon eggs, spinners, flies, or anything else.  This bullhead topped off at 1 1/4 pounds.  He chased a fast moving worm.


Vic's Lake. Today they stocked 1,173 trout.  In two weeks they will add an extra 200 for the ones lost on October 13.  Today most were drowning worms or soaking corn or going through every color of PowerBait.  Everyone was enjoying the warm weather and the pleasant breezes.  I did meet a man who was catching trout and crappie with minnows.  Check P & P Seed and Bait for minnows.


Big Slough Creek. Some were harvested today. However, many were just getting their exercise.  One gal was casting for bass and catching small ones.  Fishing continued until the last minute of the twilight.  For a link to twilight hours, see the home page.

The Flatland Fly Fishers meeting tonight was well attended.  The fly fishers have two more activities this week.  Check their website.

Ark River Anglers has new lines of fly fishing gear in.  Check it out.

2 comments:

  1. Just curious any trout fishing tips. I have lived here 3 years and in that time only caught 5 trout. I have tried Powerbait, minnows, small spinners, etc... Maybe I have a bad set up. I am not asking for your honey hole, just a few tips that might make purchasing a fishing license worth it.
    Thanks
    currdog7@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I approach a fisherman, I do what I have done for 50 years, I ask to see how he is rigged. Saturday I saw a dejected trout fisherman who was trying as hard as he could, but no luck. I said, you are using a large dry fly, a regular BB shot sinker, and heavy line to fly fish with a spinning reel and rod. I told him that the fishers with the most catches that day were using very thin tippet (4 pounds or less) with very small wet flies (size 16 or smaller midges). They were fishing deep, but they get deep by choosing tungsten head lures and fishing very slowly and deliberately. You can't use bait or treble hooks in the Big Slough Creek, so your question is mostly about how to fly fish. For more ideas go to the Flatland Fly Fishers Club meetings the first Thursday at the Nature Center http://www.flatlandflyfishers.org/ AND stop fishers and ask to see how they are rigged, and show them your rig. Check the links at http://www.cantos.org/fishing/ for fishing ideas. Watch the various fishing blogs to see what is working at any one time. When people ask me how is the fishing, I don't think about whether I caught something. I just am glad that I am fishing instead of at work. "Good Luck, have a nice day" seems redundant, because, if I am fishing, what better luck could there be?

    ReplyDelete