Thursday, November 5, 2009

Stocking Day


We have all been anxious for the 2nd trout stocking day in Wichita.  We believe it must be Thursday.  So, Wednesday morning I dreamed about it.  In the dream, a giant killer trout is eating all the newly stocked fish.  I catch the giant killer trout in my dream with a fly one of the Flatland Fly Fishers gave me from his home tied collection.  My interpretation is that I must have really been concerned by the cultural conflict between the catch and release sport fishers and those who fish for food.  So, I wrote a song and recorded it today and posted it at the bottom of the home page: http://www.cantos.org/fishing.

Wow, I really look sleepy in that video.  My dreams are about music. I wake up early and starting composing.  I don't get enought sleep.  Maybe I just need to fish more.

Don't forget, "Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day (food fishers).  Teach a man to fish and you get rid of him for the whole weekend (sports fishers).

Keep your tip up, keep your line in the water.  Good luck, have a nice day.


Gather 'round boys, and I'll tell you a tale
of a the trout who thought he was a killer whale
I know it sounds strange, but I tell you no lies
I saw it all with my very own eyes.
He was mean
He was a cannibal
He ate and ate and grew and grew
'til I killed him.

It was trout stocking day and I went to the creek
I wanted to watch them, just to take a peek
Fishing fever got me so I borrowed a rig,
put on a number sixteen Olive Zebra Midge.
Nine foot rod
Number Six line
Four X tippet, a single action reel
Parachute cast.

On the first cast he hit like a brick
When I saw his size I almost got sick
I ran down the bank and tried to keep up
As he dove and swam and shook with each jump.
He saw me
He was mad
He made a leap, landed at my feet
So I grabbed him.

His mouth was full of lures and dead fish
All the trout he had caught I could only wish
No wonder the fishing 'til then had been slow
He had eaten every rainbow in the hole.
Now he's gone
So's my iPhone
So I built a fire and invited my friends
And we ate him.

No comments:

Post a Comment