Thursday, October 15, 2009

First Day

Well, off I go. It's 43 degrees this morning. the first day of the Kansas Trout season. Can't miss that, as it only lasts six months.

I do have to be rescued regularly from the streams and lakes. I just need help getting out of the mud that I fall into, or when the deep water goes over my hip boots. It is great fun. I can't imagine why my wife doesn't go with me every time.

I am getting a late start. I woke up this morning with a song all composed in my dreams, and had to stop and write it down. Here are the words so far. I plan to record it with guitar and send it to the Flatland Fly Fishers Club.
http://www.flatlandflyfishers.org/

Flatland Fly Fishers
We travel miles to catch a trout
Flatland Fly Fishers
Keep the line in the water and wait'em out.

I catch catfish with a fly
Bass and crappie, and saugeye
Bluegill can't resist my lure
Kansas is great, let me give you a tour.

Gather 'round boys, I will tell you no lie
I caught a lunker with a 22 fly
I cast in a riffle just behind a rock
Gotta strike every time and that is not just talk.

Russia, New Zealand, or a Rocky Mountain state
Being on the road is just our fate
But then every winter we go every week
to the beautiful, home made, Big Slough Creek.

1 comment:

  1. It was the "best opening day in memory" according some of the experienced Wichita fly fishers. Many caught and released dozens, and nearly everyone caught something. The first fish of the day was this 1.9 pounder, though the majority of those planted Tuesday morning are 10 inches and one half pound. The cool weather of the past few weeks made the difference.

    Eric caught five by 9:30 fly fishing, then I caught 5 in that same hole, but I used spinners, since my fly fishing gear has not arrived yet. More pictures at http://www.cantos.org/fishing/sedgwick.html

    Looks like it will be a good 6 months of fly fishing in Wichita.

    ReplyDelete