Thursday, October 29, 2009

Fishing in the Rain


Today I was "too busy to go fishing", but I did swing by the creek for a moment.  I did not plan to stay long. I did not even bring my boots.  I did bring a rod.  There were many fishing in the rain.  Then the rain eased, it warmed a little, and I found out that I could fish for 3 hours at Big Slough Creek and Vic's Pond without even getting my shoes muddy.  So much for too busy.  I guess you can't be too busy for something as important as fishing.

Fishion. I usually don't notice what people wear, but I tried to take note of how the creek fishermen dress.  Some are in the expensive uniform of fly fishing with chest waders.  Some have soft shoes and jeans and ball caps.  Some have their rubber work boots or waterproof shoes.  I usually wear hip waders, but the water is much too high for them to be very useful now.  Is a fashion statement for fishing a "fishion"?

The fly fishers are catching fewer now, but even with the high water, the rain, the wind, the cold, and being 2 weeks since the first stocking, there are still trout in the creek.  I talked to several fishers who caught a few.  I am seeing the same people often.  They come several times each week.

I am having a hard time getting information about stocking.  The KDWP page for Sedgwick County Park has not been updated since 9/28.  Their page for "Trout Stocking Schedule" just gives ranges such as October 15-30 and Nov 1 - 14.  Some fishers assure me that stocking should have been today, but it wasn't.  One fisher quoted the Wichita Eagle announcement that stocking will be this Sunday.  At the park office they said it won't be until next Thursday, November 5.

P.S.  I also tried a popper in the Big Slough hoping to attract a bass.  I also tried it and some other bass lures in Vic's Pond, along with fly casting.  No luck today.

No comments:

Post a Comment