Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Fishing in the Wind


Today I wanted to practice fishing in the cold and the wind.  It is not hard to cast flies with the wind to your back.  Even if it is not, casting is certainly possible, and accuracy is not compromised if you use good technique.  See the video link I posted on the home page about fly fishing in the wind: http://www.cantos.org/fishing

Since everyone seems to be catching fewer now, I thought I should try the hard to reach places that probably have not been fished much.  I worked hard, climbing, wading, pushing through the brambles... losing flies right and left... no fish, no strikes.  One trout came up to examine my bright pink indicator... I took it off. The fly line is indicator enough for me.

I finally got one, but it was in a pool that is accessible and heavily fished!  The fishermen go to such spots, because that is where the trout go.  Some fishers work the entire stream, others concentrate on one pool, changing patterns until they get it right.

Today most people did not do well.  However, they are still catching small ones like this (Royal Coachman Wet with small spinner).  This week has also seen more 2 pounders and bigger.

Most fishers expect the next trout stocking to be Thursday, 29 October.  I hope they do come tomorrow, but the schedule at KDWP only says "November 1-14".  Vic's Lake 1,173; Big Slough Creek 912; KDOT East 681.

Catfish stocking is April 1 to October 1.

1 comment:

  1. The rainbow in the photo is 0.6 pounds, 10.5 inches. Opening day fish were 10 inches and 0.5 pounds. So, the fish are growing and prospering. Congratulations to the Flatland Fly Fishers, who have created a wonderful trout stream!

    ReplyDelete